Nearby things to do
This covers over 26,000 acres which allows for many outdoor activities. We have outlined some below but for further information, visit Killarney.ie which goes into further detail regarding things to do and places to visit in the surrounding area.
- Walking – There are many walking routes throughout the national park and beyond. So many that you can find yourself never taking the same one twice. To explore, walk down the hill to enter the Fossa Way which is a paved path that will bring you straight to the National Park.
- Cycling – Cycle paths have been restored throughout Killarney, making it a safe activity for all levels of expertise. Bike rental can be found in the town centre at O’Sullivans Bike rental. Here you can enquire about the various routes around the area to suit all tastes.
- Kayaking – A beautiful way to explore the famous Lakes of Killarney and get some exercise also! This is a seasonal activity that only operates during the summer months. Kayaks can be rented by Ross Castle.
- Jaunting Car – Horse drawn carriages can be found all over the Killarney area. Visitors usually hire the carriage in the town centre by the cinema and the driver will explain the various routes that can be taken from there to cater to all needs.
- Golf – The Killarney Golf and Fishing club hosted the Irish Open in 2010 and 2011, confirming that it is a spectacular course. Other golf clubs in the area are Ross Golf Club and Beaufort Golf Club. Enquiries about green fees can be made through their websites.
- Castlerosse Leisure club and spa – Located 20 minutes’ walk from abode, this hotel has a 20m heated swimming pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steam room as well as a fully equipped gym. There is a 10% discount offered to Abode residents.
- Recommended Personal Trainer – Make the most of the onsite Abode gym with personal training sessions with Alan Devane. Contact Alan directly for special resident rates on 087 6462171.
- Park Run – A timed and measured 5km run which takes place at Killarney house every Saturday morning at 9:30am. Not only is it a social event but it is also free of charge to all. The only requirement is that you register on the website and bring the barcode with you the morning of the run. Check out parkrun.ie/Killarney for more information.
As well as the Abode community, you also have the opportunity to get involved with a number of local clubs:
- Fossa GAA
- Fossa Rowing Club
- Killarney Rugby football Club
- Killarney Tennis Club
- Killarney Mountaineering Club